White Island is Camiguin’s most popular destination attracting thousands of tourists every year. The island features crystal clear water, white sands and constantly-changing shape.
White Island Camiguin is a sandbar just 2 kilometers from the beaches of Agoho Mambajao Camiguin.
The island is known to change its shape from time to time depending on the ocean tide. Some of its most common shapes are letters “C,” “L” and “J.” At times, White Island turns into two or three smaller islands.
White Island is a popular tourist destination for both locals and tourists.
How to get to White Island?
- From Camiguin’s capital Mambajao, take a jeep or a multicab ride to Barangay Agoho. The trip usually takes 15-20 minutes. Ask the driver to drop you off the nearest beach to White Island.
- One in Agoho, ask the locals for directions to where the boats, locally referred to as “pump boats,” are docked.
- Cut a deal with the pump boat driver. The fare is dependent on the number of passengers. It’s usually priced at, at least, PHP 150 (roughly USD 5).
- It only takes 5 minutes to get to White Island. Set the pick up time. If you brought a mobile phone, ask for the number of the pump boat driver. So you can just call or text him for pick up.
Tips for White Island tourists
- The island lacks vegetation so tourists are in under the heat of a tropical sunlight. Make sure to bring sunblock lotion or an umbrella.
- To enjoy the crystal clear waters of White Island, bring snorkeling equipments.
- Avoid dehydration by bringing water.
- There are rare species of corals that sometimes turn up on the shores of the island. Bringing these outside of the island is illegal.
- Be sure to not leave any trash on the island.
Published on Feb 09, 2014